Sumesh Sood, chief operating officer of private care brand Organic Harvest Company, says chemicals like parabens and phthalates present in products are capable of damaging skin. Not just the skin, chemicals in cosmetics are possibly linked to many more health problems like cancer. Here’s a list of chemicals commonly found in cosmetics:
1. Phthalates: Phthalates are a group of chemicals that disrupt hormonal balance in women. They are found in several skin care products like creams and shampoos. They may lead to early puberty in girls and may be risk factor for later-life breast cancer.
2. Parabens: Parabens are a group of substances used to prevent pollution of cosmetics and skincare products with fungus, bacteria and other cultures. Methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl parabens are common preservatives used in all toiletries, dental and hair products. These chemicals are utilized through the skin and may cause breast cancer. They are also likely to annoy skin, eyes and lungs.
3. Para-amino benzoic acid (PABA): PABA is a common ingredient present in sunscreens. It has been linked with cancer, skin irritation and rashes. The chemical also damages the liver and deepens the skin pigments. Read more on how to choose the best sunscreen
4. Mineral oil: Mineral oil coats the skin like a plastic wrap, disrupting the skin’s natural power to breathe and absorb the ‘natural moisture factor’. This causes burning, stinging, redness and irritation. Lack of moisture also leads to premature ageing of skin. Here are 5 home remedies for ageing skin
5. Isopropyl alcohol: It is commonly used to blend colors in cosmetics. It has been linked to neurological damage and increasing the risk of cancer.
6. Talc (magnesium silicate): Magnesium silicate is used in makeup and powders. It causes irritation the lungs and may be dangerous; possible link to ovarian cancer.
7. Coal tar: Coal tar is used as a colorant in cosmetics such as blushers and eye liners. Some companies also use it in anti-dandruff shampoos. Coal tar may trigger nausea, mood swings, and hassles and has been found to be linked with cancer.